Overview of the exhibition
The exhibition in the medieval cloister presents exhibits from the history of the Church of the Redeemer and of the surrounding residential area, the "Muristan", and describes the relevant archaeological problems and methods. The focus of interest are the finds from the time of Herod the Great, Jesus of Nazareth and the emperors Hadrian and Constantine. A further focus is the history of the "Muristan” and pilgrim life in the Middle Ages. The tour "Through the Ages" ends with the current church work of the "Protestant in Jerusalem" and other Protestant churches that are active in this space.
Jesus' life and the question of the authenticity of the Holy Sepulchre were the main foci of the evolving field of biblical archaeology in Jerusalem.
The name "Muristan" refers to the approximately square-shaped area to the south of the Holy Sepulchre up to the David Street.
The first layer consists of three horizontal bands of loam that was washed in by winter rains over a period of more than one hundred years, from the turn of the millennium until the establishment of the city Aelia Capitolina in around AD 135.
Church of the Redeemer
Already in 1857, the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm IV, who had revived the Protestant branch of the Knights of St. John, had been interested in the acquisition of "Muristan" in Jerusalem, the founding place of the Order of St. John.